Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mandatory Military Service

I found a writing prompt today on military service. It posed the question as to whether on not the U.S. should ever institute a mandatory policy for spending at least one year in a branch of the military after high school. This poses a very interesting conflict within me.

I, myself, served in the military and honestly believe I am a better person for it. I learned things about myself that I would never have discovered otherwise. Certain attributes were brought out in me that I will carry forever. Attributes like integrity, loyalty, faith in a team. Just based on personal experience I think a mandatory service could be a positive thing.

However, many younger soldiers enter conflict without little to no life experiences. They come right from high school and enter a life of armed combat. Many don't survive the battles that are fought on foreign soil. Although I believe battles will always be fought by those who must, teenagers should not be forced to blindly enter this world.

After having weighed this argument, I think that if the U.S. ever institutes a mandatory service it should be more along the lines of a JROTC or ROTC program. They would still get the indoctrination into a team life with all of the values instilled without the risk of loss of life. After the program ends, the individual would have a free choice to enter the service or not, as they see fit. I think this would give all Americans a glimpse at exactly what an American soldier goes through to defend and uphold the rights and freedoms of our great country. Appreciation would increase exponentially.

No comments:

Post a Comment